Tuesday 17 April 2012

17/04/12 High Plains Drifter (1973)

I grew up in London, I think horses are giant, clopping idiots, the American love of firearms gives me a psuedo-cultured, European chill down the spine, I enjoy a daily shower and the countryside I've spent time in is very green and non-deserty.

So obviously I've always loved westerns. As, y'know, I can relate an' shit.

The last time I saw this was the better part of twenty years ago when me and a mate had drank a few beers, so my memories of it were hazy. It's bloody ace. Clint Eastwood plays 'The Stranger', you (kinda) never know his real name, (although there is a rather large clue what it is in the final scene) so I'm gonna hazard a guess that his caracter's called Barry Pistol or Leonard Rifle or something. Anyway, Gerry Shotgun rides into a small town who are occasionally troubled by lawlessness and have a collectively shared dark secret. Timmy Flintlock then proceeds to bed the women, insult the men and shoot some baddies.

It's a great film, the dialogue is spot-on, the action is exciting, the humour works, there's an adorable midget and the suggested supernatural content elevates it way above many films of its type.

You've probably already seen it, but you should watch it again.

Excellent! 9/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068699/



                    And you can punch me in the anus if that isn't one of the coolest film posters ever!



                                                                               Perkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment